President Donald Trump shared images of a prospective redesign for Air Force One during an extensive interview Wednesday, saying he designed the plan himself.
“We had different choices,” Trump told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, showing him three mock-ups for the plane’s next generation, explaining that they would be for the next president as the work won’t come until 2024. “These are slightly different.”
Trump last year announced a $3.9 billion makeover for Air Force One, saying he wants the presidential plane to look more patriotic.
“Air Force One” usually refers to a pair of Boeing 747-200B series aircraft, and the current planes include a presidential suite, a medical operating room, and a full kitchen.
Trump told Stephanopoulos that the new planes will still be a 747, but “it’s a much bigger plane. It’s a much bigger wingspan.”
The president said there are “a couple of secrets” remaining he didn’t “think we’re supposed to be talking about,” but laughed when he was asked if the plane will have a pod that flies out the back like in the movie “Air Force One.”
Last year, the White House said its new contract was $1.3 billion lower than had been initially proposed, but Trump told Stephanopoulos “we added things, and I got $1.6 billion off the price.”
Wednesday afternoon, however, the House Armed Services Committee voted to restrict spending for Air Force One.
“The president will have an opportunity to make some suggestions and changes to the plane,” Rep. Joe Courtney, D-Conn., who introduced the amendment, said Wednesday. “Additional paint can add weight to the plane, additional fixtures inside can also add to cost and delays to the delivery of the plane.”