A planned mass roundup of illegal immigrants who have received final deportation orders is set to begin this Sunday, according to a report at The Washington Post.
The report from immigration reporter Nick Miroff cites three U.S. officials “with knowledge of the plans” and explains that President Donald Trump has instructed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to begin the process of apprehending and removing families who have gotten legal orders to be deported from the country.
The operation is reportedly slated to deal with up to 2,000 migrant family units in as many as 10 American cities, among which are major immigration destinations.
On Monday, President Trump tweeted that ICE was planning to “begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States” and that “they will be removed as fast as they come in.”
The next day, acting ICE Director Mark Morgan made it clear to PBS Newshour that the people targeted for removal in this operation have already been given more than sufficient heads up about their immigration status and their future in the United States.
“Let me say that the due process has been provided,” Morgan said in the interview. “We have sent out over 2,000 letters once they received a final order of removal. And we said, hey, come in, bring your family, work with ICE. We will give you 30 days to get your affairs in order, and then we will help return you to your country.”
Morgan continued to plead for the families aware of their own final removal orders to cooperate with law enforcement on the matter
“What I would tell these individuals that have had final orders, come to ICE, turn yourself in, right, work with ICE, and we will help remove you back to your country of origin, rather than ICE having to come out, agents having to come and try to track you down to enforce the rule of law,” Morgan said. “Come work with ICE. Don’t make us go after you and get you.”
Data obtained by Blaze Media in March from the Immigration Reform Law Institute via a FOIA request found that there are currently over 600,000 illegal aliens in the United States who have been served their final deportation notice.
Earlier this month, former ICE director and current border czar pick Tom Homan said that deporting those with final orders is the most effective illegal immigration deterrent out there.
“I’ve said many times, there are over 100,000 family units with final orders, been ordered removed by an immigration judge,” Homan told Fox News. “We need to seek them out and return them to their homeland. We need to execute the final orders issued by the judges, or there’s no integrity to the entire system. That’s not being done; we need to do it. I did it four years ago and it worked. I can’t understand why that’s not happening.”