Former Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) says he’s still considering whether to launch a primary challenge against President Donald Trump, while admitting, “I don’t think anybody’s going to beat Donald Trump.”
What are the details?
Sanford told Fox News Monday, “I always like to be real, and I don’t think anybody’s going to beat Donald Trump. That’s my personal opinion.”
The fiscal conservative announced last week that he was going to take a month to mull over a White House bid, but maintains that his purpose for doing so would be more about bringing attention to America’s spending and deficit rather than toppling the president.
“I think it’s about trying to force a larger national debate and a debate within Republican circles,” Sanford explained to Fox. “The idea of financial sanity, the idea of financial prudence, was a linchpin to the conservative movement and by extension the Republican Party. That has been lost of late.”
President Trump enjoys strong support among Republican voters and the Republican National Committee itself, making any challenge against him a long shot.
Sanford lost his congressional seat after being challenged in the primary by a Trump-endorsed candidate last year. That candidate, Katie Arrington, lost in the general election to Democrat Joe Cunningham. Sanford won the same seat in the general election in 2016 by 20 percentage points.
Sanford is also the former governor of South Carolina, and made international headlines over an extramarital affair he had while holding the office. Last week, he conceded during an interview with “The View” that the scandal was a vulnerability for him if he were to decide to run for president.
Will Mark Sanford Run Against Trump in 2020? | The View
The only Republican who has thrown their hat in the ring against President Trump so far is former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who was the Libertarian Party’s nominee for vice president in 2016.