Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to an active shooter situation at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, on Saturday where at least 18 people were shot, according to local media reports.
Information about the extent of the injuries and any possible casualties was not immediately available, though multiple people were reportedly killed with some news outlets reporting the dead may number as high as 22. One person was taken in to custody, police said, adding that there were not thought to be other suspects at the scene or elsewhere.
UPDATE: One person is in custody in connection with the El Paso, Texas shooting, El Paso police confirm. “We don’t believe there is anybody outstanding, so we are starting to secure the scene.” https://t.co/mPi7INB5mS pic.twitter.com/CtOJXmiatm
— ABC News (@ABC) August 3, 2019
The city’s mayor previously told CNN that multiple suspects were in custody.
El Paso police and Dallas’s branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded to the scene, which was reportedly next to the city’s Cielo Vista Mall.
BREAKING: ATF is en route to assist @EPPOLICE at the scene of a reported shooting in the area of #CieloVistaMall in #ElPaso TX. Please stay away from the area and refrain from posting first responder activity on social media. https://t.co/uw3DEFZRJt pic.twitter.com/0KqUK5nmmI
— ATF Dallas (@ATFDallas) August 3, 2019
The El Paso Police Department tweeted after the shooting began that reports of multiple shooters were coming in and urged bystanders to avoid the area. The department did not immediately return a request for more details from The Hill.
Scene is still Active. We have multi reports of multiple shooters. Please avoid area police conducting search of a very large area. Media staging will be given when area is secure.
— EL PASO POLICE DEPT (@EPPOLICE) August 3, 2019
Mark Lambie, a photojournalist at the El Paso Times, tweeted a video of medical response teams at the scene of the shooting.
Huge medical response to active shooter at Walmart Cielo Vista. @elpasotimes pic.twitter.com/9O4M9uDYdu
— mark lambie (@LambieMark) August 3, 2019
Former Rep. Beto O’RourkeBeto O’Rourke2020 Dems call for NYPD officer in Eric Garner case to be fired A campaign focused on science over fiction The Hill’s Campaign Report: Obama legacy under spotlight after Detroit debates MORE (D), who also previously served as the city’s mayor and is currently running for president, tweeted his response to the “heartbreaking” tragedy as it was unfolding. At a press conference Saturday afternoon, he pledged to return to the city while it deals with the tragedy.
.@BetoORourke delivers emotional statement about shooting in El Paso, Texas, he says he will cut short his campaign trip in Nevada and head to Texas immediately. pic.twitter.com/sPESbpb3tz
— Ben Pu (@BenPu_nbc) August 3, 2019
“Truly heartbreaking. Stay safe, El Paso. Please follow all directions of emergency personnel as we continue to get more updates,” he tweeted.
Truly heartbreaking. Stay safe, El Paso. Please follow all directions of emergency personnel as we continue to get more updates. https://t.co/BU0AH6Y8Rv
— Beto O’Rourke (@BetoORourke) August 3, 2019
The White House released a statement Saturday afternoon stating that President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump’s greatest allies for a 2020 win: AOC and ‘The Squad’ Trump defends position on trade after threat of new China tariffs Man punched outside Trump rally: ‘If anything, it’ll increase’ my activism MORE was monitoring the situation.
“The President has been briefed on the shooting in El Paso, and we continue to monitor the situation. The President has spoken with Attorney General Barr and Governor Abbott,” the press release stated.
In a tweet, Trump called the shooting “terrible” and pledged the federal government’s support to El Paso’s city officials.
“Terrible shootings in ElPaso, Texas. Reports are very bad, many killed. Working with State and Local authorities, and Law Enforcement. Spoke to Governor to pledge total support of Federal Government. God be with you all!” he tweeted.
Terrible shootings in ElPaso, Texas. Reports are very bad, many killed. Working with State and Local authorities, and Law Enforcement. Spoke to Governor to pledge total support of Federal Government. God be with you all!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 3, 2019
Wal-Mart also released a statement following the shooting, tweeting that the company was “in shock” over the events in El Paso.
“We’re in shock over the tragic events at Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, where store 2201 & club 6502 are located. We’re praying for the victims, the community & our associates, as well as the first responders. We’re working closely with law enforcement & will update as appropriate,” Wal-Mart tweeted.
We’re in shock over the tragic events at Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, where store 2201 & club 6502 are located. We’re praying for the victims, the community & our associates, as well as the first responders. We’re working closely with law enforcement & will update as appropriate.
— Walmart (@Walmart) August 3, 2019