President Donald Trump mocked the plans by Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke to once again offer a competing rally when the president visits El Paso, Texas, after a terrible mass murder.
“Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O’Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement – & be quiet!” the president tweeted.
O’Rourke indicated in a tweet that he would be at an event planned to “confront President Trump and white supremacy,” on Wednesday while the president was also scheduled to visit.
Organizers said in the Facebook post for the event that the president was not welcome in El Paso.
“El Paso was targeted for the horrific shooting because we are a welcoming city that advocates for immigrant families. We were targeted for fighting against the dehumanization of our immigrant brothers and sisters, for pushing back against the criminalization of our border and for denouncing President Trump’s attempts to paint our communities as something they’re not,” the event organizers said.
“President Trump is not welcome in El Paso and his narrative around immigrants and Central Americans should not be welcome anywhere,” they added.
O’Rourke had already once tried to hold a competing rally against the president in February, but his relatively small rally was overwhelmed by the music and noise of the president’s gathering of supporters.
“We have a line that’s very long already,” Trump said to reporters in February before the rally. “You’ve seen what’s going on. I understand our competitor’s got a line too, but it’s a tiny little line.”
Here’s the latest on the El Paso massacre:
El Paso shooting survivor tells his story