Tennis star Novak Djokovic is reportedly being investigated by The Australian Border Force for allegedly submitting a false travel declaration upon his arrival in Australia.
Pictures of Djokovic appear to counter documents necessary for entry into the country, which reportedly stated he would not travel in the 14 days leading up to his arrival in Melbourne Jan. 5, according to CNN. One of the photos, posted by tennis journalist José Morgado, appears to show Djokovic in Belgrade Dec. 25, only days before heading to Australia.
Novak Djokovic and Benfica’s handball player (the best, btw) Petar Djordjic in Belgrade today. pic.twitter.com/U7lti3xjcQ
— José Morgado (@josemorgado) December 25, 2021
CNN reported the documents were filed on Djokovic’s behalf by Tennis Australia from information provided by Djokovic and used at the Melbourne airport.
The reigning Australian Open champion previously had his visa revoked due to the country’s COVID-19 restrictions, but it was restored upon appeal on Monday after he spent the weekend in a secure facility.
A spokesperson for Australian immigration minister Alex Hawke told The Guardian Hawke is still considering whether to exercise his power to revoke Djokovic’s visa due to the new allegations.
“In line with due process, minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter. As the issue is ongoing, for legal reasons it is inappropriate to comment further,” the spokesperson said.
Djokovic is currently tied for the most men’s Grand Slam titles with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA