Devastating flooding in eastern Kentucky will likely bring with it deaths as well as hundreds of homes lost, state Gov. Andy Beshear said on Thursday.
The governor had already called a state of emergency by Thursday morning and said he was mobilizing the National Guard to assist in recovery efforts. Many areas in the eastern part of the state were still under flood warnings that were expected to last throughout the day.
Footage of the floods spread around social media on Thursday, showing houses and buildings under feet of water.
Beshear during a press conference, meanwhile, said the catastrophe was “going to take not months but likely years for many families to rebuild and recover from.”