According to a report from Fox News, a federal magistrate in Florida will hold a hearing on Thursday that may decide whether or not the affidavit for the Mar-a-Lago raid can be unsealed without jeopardizing any ongoing investigations the DOJ may be conducting on former President Donald Trump.
From Fox News:
The hearing is in response to several media outlets asking the court to make the affidavit public to understand the reasoning for a raid on the home of a former commander-in-chief.
Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart, who green-lit the original search warrant Aug. 5, is slated to preside over the hearing, although it is unclear whether he will make a decision from the bench or take the case under advisement.
“Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before,” Trump said in a statement last week. “After working and cooperating with the relevant government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate.”
“They can redact the names and other sensitive information, but DOJ must lay their cards on the table,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) “Media speculation is rampant … Let America see the affidavit.”
Attorney General Merrick Garland and his DOJ are fighting the release of the affidavit, claiming it may interfere with ongoing investigations.
“If disclosed, the affidavit would serve as a roadmap to the government’s ongoing investigation, providing specific details about its direction and likely course in a manner that is highly likely to compromise future investigative steps,” the DOJ said in a court filing earlier this week opposing the affidavit’s release.
This story is developing…
Judge to weigh whether unsealing affidavit for Mar-a-Lago raid will jeopardize Trump investigation https://t.co/HuJDWgSbfd
— Fox News (@FoxNews) August 18, 2022