According to a Fox News report, in a filing Monday morning, former President Donald Trump’s legal team said the Justice Department is seeking to “limit the scope of any review of its investigative conduct and presuppose the outcome, at least in regard to what it deems are ‘classified records.’”
“The Justice Department last week informed the court that it would appeal the ruling from U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon for the appointment of a special master and would move for a ‘partial stay’ pending its appeal—specifically regarding her order blocking the government from its review of the records seized that were marked classified,” Fox reports.
“This investigation of the 45th President of the United States is both unprecedented and misguided,” Trump’s lawyers said in the filing. “In what at its core is a document storage dispute that has spiraled out of control, the Government wrongfully seeks to criminalize the possession by the 45th President of his own Presidential and personal records.”
Trump’s legal team added that the court’s order “is a sensible preliminary step towards restoring order from chaos.”
“The Government should therefore not be permitted to skip the process and proceed straight to a preordained conclusion,” they wrote.
From Fox News:
In the judge’s initial order for the appointment of a special master, Cannon ruled that the special master would be responsible to review the seized property for “personal items and documents and potentially privileged material subject to claims of attorney-client and/or executive privilege.”
Cannon, though, said the order “shall not impede the classification review and/or intelligence assessment by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (“ODNI”) as described in the Government’s Notice of Receipt of Preliminary Order.”
Trump’s legal team argued that the Justice Department has “misinterpreted” the order, and said there is “no indication any purported ‘classified records’ were disclosed to anyone.”
More from Fox News:
BREAKING: Trump lawyers oppose DOJ request to continue to use classified docs seized by FBI during investigationhttps://t.co/imwsMPrdP2
— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) September 12, 2022