The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request from former President Donald Trump to intervene in his legal fight against the Department of Justice over classified documents seized at his residence in Mar-a-Lago.
The former president had called for the Supreme Court to review a ruling from the three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit that allowed the DOJ investigation into his documents to continue.
The justices refused the request Thursday and did not offer any comment on their rationale. There was also no dissent noted.
Trump’s legal team had previously requested a special master to independently review the documents seized in order to sort out whether some fall under the province of executive privilege or attorney-client privilege. U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon sided with Trump and appointed a senior judge in the Eastern District of New York as special master.
The Eleventh Circuit, based in Atlanta, ruled in favor of the Department of Justice and said the investigation could continue.
Trump has also said publicly that he personally declassified all documents that were brought into Mar-a-Lago, but his attorneys have not argued that in court.
About 100 documents were found with classified markings among the thousands that were seized by the FBI on August 8.
“Any limit on the comprehensive and transparent review of materials seized in the extraordinary raid of a President’s home erodes public confidence in our system of justice,” argued the former president’s legal team to the Supreme Court.
“The Government has attempted to criminalize a document management dispute and now vehemently objects to a transparent process that provides much-needed oversight,” it added.
The refusal came from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who oversees the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Here’s more about the Supreme Court refusing Trump:
Supreme Court REJECTS Trump appeal on Mar-a-Lago document battle with FBI | LiveNOW from FOX