Corrupt Justice Department prosecutors believe they have enough evidence to bring obstruction charges against Trump.
According to The Wall Street Journal, the Trump prosecutors have seen enough evidence to bring obstruction charges, “but the path to an actual indictment is far from clear.”
A group of Justice Department prosecutors believe there is sufficient evidence to charge Donald Trump with obstruction of justice, but the path to an actual indictment is far from clear.
The team that’s part of the classified records probe has not yet made a formal recommendation to Attorney General Merrick Garland, who would ultimately approve or reject such a move, according to people familiar with the matter. It’s also unlikely officials would bring only obstruction charges amid several other Trump investigations into potential crimes, the people said.
In addition, while some Federal Bureau of Investigation agents oppose bringing such a politically charged case as Trump considers a 2024 presidential bid, others support action, said the people, who asked for anonymity to discuss information not yet public. Agents, however, don’t make the final decisions.
The Justice Department has publicly indicated that obstruction is part of its probe into the mishandling of classified records, noting there was probable cause for the charge in the Aug. 5 FBI search warrant application for Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate. But no charges are likely to be filed — or publicly revealed — before the Nov. 8 mid-term elections, and perhaps only after the Christmas holiday, the people said.
According to leaks to the Washington Post and New York Times, Trump staffers moved Mar-a-Lago boxes after Trump was issued a subpoena in May.
The FBI contacted at least two Trump aides about the records stored at Mar-a-Lago.
A Trump employee told the FBI he moved boxes of documents at Mar-a-Lago on the former president’s orders, according a report published by the Washington Post last Wednesday.
Apparently only Trump isn’t allowed to take possession of his own presidential records.
According to The Washington Post, The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, the claim from Trump’s worker is corroborated by security footage.
Trump’s worker was told to move the boxes after the former president received a subpoena in May for classified documents.
The ‘key witness’ who moved Mar-a-Lago boxes on Trump’s orders is a former White House employee and Navy veteran.
The Washington Post identified the key witness as Walt Nauta, a 39-year-old who worked valet for Trump and served as a personal staffer at Mar-a-Lago.
The Wall Street Journal identified the second staffer last week.
“The aides, Walt Nauta and Will Russell, are witnesses in the Justice Department’s investigation into the handling of presidential and classified records taken from the White House but aren’t formally cooperating with the probe,” The Wall Street Journal reported citing “people familiar with the matter.”