The Today Show has deleted a video report from their website which revealed that Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, did not “immediately declare an emergency” or attempt to leave the house when law enforcement officers responded to the residence last week.
In an editor’s note on the now-expired video titled “Paul Pelosi released from the hospital six days after intruder attack”, it states, “The piece should not have aired because it did not meet NBC News reporting standards.” The video remains live on NBC’s website, without the editor’s note.
NBC News, a sister outlet of Today, released a report shortly after Pelosi was released from the hospital, revealing details from court documents.
“After a knock and announce, the front door was opened by Mr. Pelosi. The 82-year-old did not immediately declare an emergency or try to leave his home, but instead began walking several feet back into the foyer toward the assailant and away from police,” the report stated.
The report continued: “It’s unclear if the 82-year-old was already injured or what his mental state was, say sources.”
“According to court documents, when the officer asked what was going on the defendant smiled and said everything’s good. But instantaneously, a struggle ensued as police clearly saw David DePape strike Paul Pelosi in the head with a hammer.”
The report questioned why Pelosi didn’t say anything to officers at the time about being in distress, and said that the details of the 30 minutes Pelosi and DePape spent in the house before police arrived are unknown.
Pelosi was released from the hospital on Thursday after suffering a fractured skull and injuries to his arm and hand.
DePape, who was arrested immediately after the attack and has been issued a number of felony charges, pleaded not guilty in court on Tuesday.